SuperForester Carla just put up this post:
First there was “The Silent Generation”, then there were the “Baby Boomers”, after that came “Generation Xers”, and now…”The Millennials“?
According to the Pew Research Center, this is the name they’ve given my generation. It includes born between the ages of 1981 and 2000 and now that much of them are in the middle of this coming-of-age phase of life, researchers wanted to see what made this generation unique. What they found was that this was a generation that was “confident, connected, and open to change.” Here are a bit of the facts:
- They are the most ethnically and racially diverse cohort of youth in the nation’s history. Among those ages 13 to 29: 18.5% are Hispanic; 14.2% are black; 4.3% are Asian; 3.2% are mixed race or other; and 59.8%, a record low, are white.
- They are starting out as the most politically progressive age group in modern history. In the 2008 election, Millennials voted for Barack Obama over John McCain by 66%-32%, while adults ages 30 and over split their votes 50%-49%. In the four decades since the development of Election Day exit polling, this is the largest gap ever seen in a presidential election between the votes of those under and over age 30.
- They are the first generation in human history who regard behaviors like tweeting and texting, along with websites like Facebook, YouTube, Google and Wikipedia, not as astonishing innovations of the digital era, but as everyday parts of their social lives and their search for understanding.
- They are the least religiously observant youths since survey research began charting religious behavior.
- They are more inclined toward trust in institutions than were either of their two predecessor generations — Gen Xers (who are now ages 30 to 45) and Baby Boomers (now ages 46 to 64) when they were coming of age.
Taking all of these preliminary findings, the folks at Pew have created a nifty personality quiz to see how much you share in common with this awesomegeneration. I opened the web page with confidence thinking it would be a breeze and I’d be pretty representative of this generation…
A 65!!! lol! So I guess I was wrong (must be my lack of tattoos), but you can take the quiz here, and see how you compare.
And if you’re already thinking about the next generation, SuperForest already has that one covered.
Totally nifty and cool idea, not that I buy it completely. There is some truth, certainly, to generational habits and ways of viewing life. So, go check it out and find out how millenial you are! I am:
Pretty awesome! I am where I should be it seems. It isn’t perfect, but it is a totally interesting idea. Some of the question force you to define yourself in ways that I, personally, cannot so I forced myself to just give in and hit “liberal,” although I don’t associate with being liberal at all. But if I had to that is what I lean more towards, change and revolution, SuperForesty things. But by saying I am liberal I am then expected to choose liberally, which isn’t fair. I am a human being and made up of many different complex things, and will never let myself be limited to societies expectation through labelling. I have just always felt it is better to be you, and let that be the only label that governs you. It gives you the freedom to choose what you want to choose in every situation, you are truly then UNLIMITED! This is an idea I have been toying around with and this quiz got me stirring, so you are hearing it now. It is still fresh and new, and I just shared it for the first time really. I hope it develops and grows, and you can help that, share your opinion, give me feedback. What do you think? Don’t let me get away easy =D. But still go do that quiz, it is at the very least very fun! Much love to you all,